vineri, 26 noiembrie 2010

The Romanian Headscarf. A Metonymy

You see it on the street, assuming that it belongs to  an Arabian student. But it sometimes conceals the hair of a Romanian convert, the typical representative of a new emergent religious community in Romania.

Conversion to Islam is a highly gendered phenomenon here. Young Romanian women say the Shahada and embrace Islam in a higher number than men; some of the local Muslim organizations' representatives would explain that this is due to a simple demographic reality.

Islam is a  rather atypical religion for the local spiritual landscape, which is dominated by Orthodox Christians (86.7% of the population). Carrying their religious identity most visibly trough the veil, female converts experience conflicts with their old selves, with their families, sometimes with society at large, which finds different and not always subtle ways of sanctioning their religious shift.

This blog is an attempt to put together the pieces in the puzzle of my PhD research, concerning the role of the headscarf in shaping Romanian converts' identity. Despite the fact that the topic of Muslim female covering has been highly exploited for the profit of political agendas and has been receiving an overwhelming attention in the worldwide media, I chose it as a practical instrument leading to other salient issues in these women's lives: their personal and professional aspirations, the values they adopted from Islam, the negotiation of their new religious selves with those code enforcers that attempt to judge and hinder them. I use the veil as a metonymy for the whole being-a-Romanian-Muslim-woman experience.

Since Islam is now a global presence, this research is connected to the international context - this is also the reason for writing in English - while trying at the same time to draw a profile of a Romanian Muslim female identity.


I am also offering this blog as a platform open to  the converts who want to give voice to their experience of being Muslims in Romania. Maybe this is a good opportunity for those interested  to talk about themselves in an environment created by a non-Muslim, as  a part of an academic project - which cannot come to reality without them making their mark on it.

Until present, I've been conducting biographic interviews with Romanian female converts and each time I was amazed by their life stories. They are all educated women who chose a faith path and stood up for what they believe in, no matter what,  and I am thankful to know them all.

For those of you who see your identity projected in this spiritual profile, I launch a first question: 

What do you love about being a Muslim woman?

The floor is yours now!

12 comentarii:

  1. What do you love about being a Muslim woman?
    -i love submitting myself to Allah(the one God,the Creator) and praying to Him Only (this is called Monotheism)
    -covering (abaya and niqab)not showing myself to the men which would mean to fulfill their desires
    -the respect and status that i recive being a Muslim woman,and about these MANY do not have a clue.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. Interesting project, I'm going to follow it up and see how it will turn out, I am sure that if you will research you will find many surprising stories about the Romanian Muslim women

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  3. draga Dana,
    asa cum pui tu problema rezulta ca hijabul este inventie romaneasca si te asigur ca nu este....
    pana la venirea arabilor in Romanie dupa revolutie nu s-a pomenit de asa ceva la musulmancele romane din dobrogea si din tara.
    moda asta au adus-o fundamentalistii arabi,care s-au insurat in romania,s-a raspandit apoi la gasculitele care s-au islamizat cautand "adevarata religie" desi nu au mers la bisrica niciodata...si de asemeni produsul a fel de fel de fundatii,centre islamice,Asociatii de surori musulmane si frati musulmani....
    Personal nu-mi place si am o senzatie de inconfort cad il vad pe strada IN ROMANIA...

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  4. ABBU VIORICA, moda cu hijaburile la femei nu a adus-o nimeni, nu doar musulmanele poarta hijab, ci si femeile crestine au purtat batic si unele inca mai poarta si astazi, bunica mea de exemplu nu a iesit niciodata din casa descoperita, de ce? pentru ca si in biblie scrie ca femeia trebuie sa isi acopere capul, iar in ceea ce priveste "gasculitele care s-au islamizat cautand "adevarata religie" desi nu au mers la bisrica niciodata" vorbeste in numele tau, nu vei sti niciodata ce se afla in sufletul altor persoane

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  5. Welcome all and thank you for your comments! @abbu viorica: I am not not trying to go to the roots of veiling. I am using "Romanian Hijab" as a metaphor for bringing into discussion a religious practice which is nowadays encountered in Romania too, due to the natural expansion of the Muslim community. In this post I am inviting you to share your personal experience and thoughts on the benefits of embracing Islam. What makes you happy to be a Muslim? Maybe in a next post we will talk about the beginnings of veiling in Romania. Thank you! PS: I am trying to keep English as the "official" language here, since, as I was writing, I would like to open more widely this platform.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  6. Hi-
    What University you go to? I am not sure where are you heading with this paper? What are your assumptions (about the headscarf) and what are you trying to prove with this study?
    Judging by the comments you chose from the media it silently tells me you are trying to show that women with hijab are being discriminated against.
    I am not sure what media you read that talks about the new wave of conversions in Romania. Anyway, why do you really care about it? Why you do not tell us where are you heading with this?

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  7. romania este o tara libera ...cine vrea poarta ...cine nu nu

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  8. Binacat: I study at Babes-Bolyai University from Cluj/Romania. What I wrote is based on some of the conclusions I could draw from the fieldwork I am still conducting - interviews with female converts, informal discussions etc. I am interested in this topic from the perspective of the very practical consequences which conversion to Islam and veiling can bring in the lives of these women - for instance, is their access to the labor market hindered by their choice of wearing the headscarf? In some cases, I could see it is... I don't rely on the media reports on the Muslim community in Romania since they hardly exist and are targeting punctual issues. And more, there are no official statistics in what concerns conversion to Islam here, but there are numerous local Muslim organizations, they seem to be very active, they have dynamic discussion groups - conversion is a very present topic... I had the chance to meet female converts and take the pulse of this reality.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  9. Congratulations for the work you do. It is an interesting study.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  10. Great project as long as you keep yourself away of idea :headscarf=opression!I am a converted to islam woman,also i am a Romanian woman,i am free to walk on the street without fear ,i am free to go wherever i want ,I wear the black abaya and hijab in sign of piety and faith in front of Allah. But i am also a normal woman with thoughts,feelings,beliefs,
    People around me always will see me different, but in the same time they always will respect me for how much i respect them,they will always answer me in a nice and warm way becouse of how i treat them,so there is not a problem of being covered muslimah or not , or in how the other people behave seeing us , but there is only the problem of how we treat them!As long as we treat other naturaly with respect and love ,for sure we will receive the same respect

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  11. A muslim woman in Romania .. well.. i dont personally know about other women's experience but as far as my own gows its something like this: People stare at me on the streets, my family has renegated me and honestly i cant even understand why, My friends, the good old friends stood by my sidfe and are still supporting me in my choise and don't see this whole religious thing as being a majore change to our friendship while others either left me or forced me to leave them.Islam is a way of life, a meaning of existence , a ritual , a sufism.Its purifying the heart from all toxic outer elements poisoning the spirit.I gave up hanginng around in clubs, i gave up all surroundings involved with alcohool and other toxines.I am happy and pleased of myself and feel free, freed from this perpetual input from society regarding trents of one sort of another.I am now truly me,myself, the one who doesnt wanna be like nobody else but me.It is indeed a great thing. Hijab goes beyond a head scarf , hijab goes as deep as the roots of feminity go. Hijab allows you the freedom to be beautiful for whoever you want, gives you the power to have a choice and keeps you protected from the eyes of men, from the envious eyes of women, it spares the feeling of show off whn you go out.It is a matter of freedom , in other terms than the popular meaning of freedom.
    I personally chose islam. not as a religion but as a wat of life , islam means submitting to the will of God, the Creator and Muslim is called a person who submitts to the will of God. You have to understand the concept of God and need to understand the relation between God, yourself and the world.Faith is something that comes from the heart.Once you turn yourself and listen to what your heart is saying you will defenitely understand your purpose In this world.

    RăspundețiȘtergere